About the Library

TFPL Mission Statement

Posted: July 10th 2014 - 10:42 AM

The Mission of the Twin Falls Public Library is to provide for the Community of Twin Falls access to information, materials, and services that enhances quality of life, builds community, and encourages a love of reading and lifelong learning.

Idaho And Pacific Northwest History Room

Posted: April 29th 2013 - 11:33 AM

The Idaho and Pacific Northwest History Room (the Idaho Room) is located on the main floor of the Library. This special room contains rare books, manuscripts, pamphlets, scrapbooks, oral histories, and other materials that relate to the history of Twin Falls, the Magic Valley, Idaho, and the Pacific Northwest regions. The Clarence E. Bisbee Photograph Collection contains historical photographs of the early development of the Magic Valley. To gain access to this room, you must sign in at the Reference Desk and leave your Library card or photo ID. Large bags, purses, and briefcases are not allowed in the Room, nor are food and drink. Items from the Idaho Room cannot be checked out, but copies can be made, at $0.15 per page.

Flights Of Learning Statue

Posted: April 29th 2013 - 11:33 AM

"Flights of Learning" Statue

In 2009, Twin Falls Public Library celebrated its 100th birthday. As a thank-you from the community, Art Hoag spearheaded the funding for a reading statue. The statue, "Flights of Learning," was sculpted by Bryce Pettit and is one of twelve in the entire nation. The statue was dedicated on December 15, 2009. To see more pictures of the dedication, click here.

The inscription for the statue reads as follows:

"Flights of Learning"

"Flights of Learning" symbolizes the purpose and mission of a library. A child's life epitomizes learning and children are the reason that we as parents and members of the community shoulder the responsibility to better the world. The opening book is the gateway to learning and the birds are knowledge that once released soar to heights that enrich and enlighten lives. The birds also represent the freedom and opportunity gained through learning. Each bird depicted in the sculpture represents a different area of learning. The owl is symbolic of the sciences and mathematics; the falcon, history; the jay, literature; the meadowlark, music; the hummingbird, fantasy; and the tern, the arts.

Happy 100th birthday to the Twin Falls Public Library

The people of this community and the following major donors present "FLIGHTS OF LEARNING" to the Twin Falls Public Library

The Seagraves Family Foundation:

Mary Alice Nolan

Bonnie Brown

Date: October 2009

Artist: Bryce Pettit

The bronze statue project was the vision of Library and Foundation friend, Art Hoag.

Primary Roles Of The Twin Falls Public Library

Posted: April 29th 2013 - 11:32 AM

Popular materials for children and adults: The Library shall feature current, high-demand, high-interest materials in a variety of formats for people of all ages.Lifelong learning center: The Library shall actively provide timely, accurate, and useful information in a variety of formats to support personal growth and self-education for people of all ages.

Twin Falls Public Library History

Posted: April 29th 2013 - 11:32 AM

The Twin Falls Public Library is located near the heart of downtown Twin Falls at 201 4th Avenue East, Twin Falls, ID 83301.The Library began in 1909 when a small group of citizens decided the area needed a place for books. The temporary library moved from building to building (including the Courthouse), and in 1912, the city of Twin Falls agreed to support the Library. From 1913 to 1917, attempts were made to move the Library to a more permanent home; it was hoped that a grant from the Carnegie Foundation would help make this possible. Unfortunately, a disagreement between the Library board, civic leaders, and the Carnegie Foundation committee led to the Foundation from withdrawing the funds. The Library was then moved to the Elks Building and spent 10 years there. In 1938, a Public Works Administration grant was applied for and received, and the Library moved into its current building in November 1939. In 1975, a second addition was added, and a third addition was added in 1991.In 1909, the Library owned 150 books; the Library now owns close to 200,000 items.